Full time – permanent – £50k-£60k Pro-rata (DOE)
Our Client, a dynamic, transatlantic literary, is looking for an experienced accountant for its London office to support the business with its finance function and HR administration, including client accounting. This is a full-time role and the expectation is that over time you will spend approximately half of your time on client accounting and the other half on general finance and operational support.
The key objectives of the role will be
- To offer finance, operational and HR support to the agency, with support from a number of outsourced services
- To provide a first-class service to the company’s authors through processing advances and royalties in the rights system and paying them out as accurately and as promptly as possible
They are looking for an individual with credible accounting and operational experience, who is highly organised and efficient, with exceptional attention to detail, and able to juggle and prioritise multiple responsibilities at once. In relation to your client accounting responsibilities you will also be comfortable working collaboratively as one half of a job share, and also enjoy communicating with a wide variety of stakeholders including with prominent authors and their representatives.
The Finance and Operations Manager reporting line will be to the managing director of the agency, with further support provided by a part-time consultant FD. This role can be performed remotely from home in the UK, or as a hybrid remote/ office working pattern when the agency returns to office life in autumn 2021.
Previous experience within publishing or adjacent industry would be an advantage. As with all jobs in publishing, you will have a passion for books!
- Hold most general supplier relationships and manage the payables process. Manage the administration of company credit / prepaid cards and other business expenses.
- Liaise with the outsourced payroll provider to make sure employees are paid accurately and on time. Make payroll and related HMRC payments.
- Use reports from the rights management system to track commission income within the accounting system (Xero).
- Hold bank relationship and monitor the overall cash position of the agency.
- Review the monthly management accounts prepared by the outsourced book-keeper.
- Use commission reports from BP to produce quarterly cash flow forecasts, to be shared with the US parent.
- Use the cash flow forecast to create an annual budget to report against in Xero and discuss with the MDs of the agency.
- Review the draft quarterly VAT return and submit in good time to HMRC using Xero.
- Liaise with the accountants to prepare annual financial statements, the Corporation Tax return and P11D forms. Submit annual CT-61 form in relation to loan interest payments to the US parent.
Operations and technology
- Hold relationship with outsourced IT provider, including service levels, support to the team and projects
- Lead review of functional IT systems to make sure they are making the most of the technology available to improve efficiency and accuracy and deliver greater insights.
- Hold relationship with pensions broker.
- Hold relationship with insurance brokers and make recommendations in relation to annual insurance renewals.
- Hold relationship with outsourced HR support.
- Oversee joiner and leaver processes to comply with legislation and keep Company assets secure.
- Maintain the Employee Handbook and relevant employee-related documents in line with UK GDPR.
Client accounting (job share)
- For publishing advances, royalties and translation income, allocate the funds received to the correct agreement, and make payment to the author via online banking.
- Analyse and review royalties that may be due to authors and follow up on payments from publishers. Review and process royalty reports, generate royalty statements on BP, and make payments to authors.
- Process and report income earned in the UK by authors represented out of the New York office, translation income by authors represented out of the New York office, and income earned in the US by authors represented out of the UK.
- Run monthly commission income reports and transfer client bank account monies into the main agency bank account. Provide summary monthly reports on commissions earned.
- Maintain an up-to-date master file of all clients.
- Answer general queries from authors and their accountants, including forecasting projected author income and tax forms.
- Work together with others on ad hoc projects and analyses, e.g. to support commercial decisions in the business.
- Qualified accountant, proficient with Excel and comfortable getting to know new systems
- Clear, concise and friendly communication style, verbal and written
- Collaborative approach to getting things done
- Questioning mind and curious to improve processes and ways of working
- Strong affinity and/or experience in publishing or related sector
VisionFR is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion among our workforce and recruitment and eliminating unlawful discrimination.
Due to the high level of applications being received if you do not hear from us within 5 working days please assume your application has not been successful on this occasion, usually due to other candidates having more relevant sector exposure, qualifications or required skills. We thank you for your interest. J2550Candidate registration