This is a great opportunity for an ambitious and commercially astute Qualified Accountant in the Marcomms Sector. Loads of potential to grow and develop.
Salary c£60-70k + Excellent Benefits (1351)
Working as part of the finance team and providing a link with other parts of the business involved in project delivery and project management, the Commercial Controller will identify & deliver initiatives that aim to optimise the performance of the business and communicate this to the senior finance team and project teams. You will be the representative at the EU Senior Leadership Team.
As the Commercial Controller you will assist in maximising returns from projects and identifying opportunities for the business to become more profitable. You will provide analysis to account teams and business unit heads to enable them to have greater visibility of their performance, and then support them in focussed change to enable more profitable delivery. You will work closely with client facing staff and produce job reports in a timely fashion to enable valuable client conversations to be undertaken during project delivery. Your role will include preparing ad hoc analysis of projects/ clients/ suppliers when required.
- Act as an effective Agency team member, with enthusiasm and creativity:
- To participate in company meetings
- To implement new company procedures
- To seek ways of improving quality and show awareness of need to continually innovate
- To support Agency values, show enthusiasm, creativity, drive and responsibility for tasks and their own development within the Agency
Commercial Controller Core Job Responsibilities:
- With the support of the Finance Director, identify & prioritise initiatives which will have a positive impact on operating profit. For example (not limited to);
- Regular proposal analysis & assessment of client profitability with an aim to identify client accounts/ contacts with highest win rate/ least time to deliver in order to guide activity
- Share activity levels of wider staff members with appropriate management to identify areas for improvement/ where additional support is required
- Meet with business unit heads regularly to provide reporting & insights into their accounts & overall data to effect delivery & behaviours
- Work closely with the Directors to drive efficiency and cost savings.
- Develop & refine over time Board reporting which provides a clear overview and highlights on a regular basis
- Reviewing costings with a view to identifying areas for savings
- Coaching executives and cost “champions”
- Producing productivity reports and liaising with the Resource Director to ensure information is accurate and usable
- Alongside the Resourcing Director, facilitate the roll out of Resourcing with the business with an aim of optimising efficiency
- Producing consultant freelance spend reports and liaising with the senior Finance Team and Resource Director to determine appropriate measures to minimise spend where possible
- Providing critical analysis of project performance and ensuring this information is passed to the project team
- Producing monthly reports for various business units
- Review client billings prior to posting to ensure accurate accounting records are maintained. (under review)
- Assisting in the identification and billing of extras (under review)
- Where necessary following up extras charged on overseas agency invoices with the project management team to minimise cost overruns (under review)
- Assisting project and account teams in understanding the information, encouraging greater awareness, and education across the business
- Providing teams with supporting detailed transactional information where requested
- Maintaining the project costing document used to create job budgets
- Training research executives on costing principles, including the usage of the job costing document and best practice in relation to budgeting on jobs
- Maintaining and amending the Costing Tool (internal excel based tool) when necessary
- Facilitating financial learnings within job teams and attending team debriefs when necessary
- Calculate and manage discount accruals in line with client agreements
Adhoc Analysis and Other tasks
- Producing ad hoc analysis requested by senior management and account teams.
- Reviewing actual vs budget results across projects, identifying and investigating unusual trends or anomalies. Making recommendations resulting from this.
- Producing monthly dashboard reflecting monthly profit status and current bookings level.
- Approving incentives ordered for respondents in foreign markets
- Preparing reports and breakdowns for audits and liaising with audit team members to provide explanations for variances and accounting methods used
- Performing ad hoc tasks when team cover is required
Commercial Controller key attributes required:
- Excellent all-round communication skills.
- A good understanding of the marcomms /service industry and the key drivers
- Prioritisation, multi-tasking, organisation with an ability to balance workload- the candidate will need to prioritise and organise workload whilst dealing with multiple requests from different stake holders
- Proactive and positive approach to teamwork. It is important to work collaboratively with both internal and external contacts to resolve issues as they arise
- Attention to detail
- Highly organised and efficient
- Excellent excel/data manipulating skills
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA)
- Good GCSEs and A-levels